Saturday, February 9, 2008

It's over, It's over, It's all over now.....

Well DTS is completely over, and I am home now..... so sad....

I really need to catch you, who read this, up to date with the end of my out-reach phase!!

Well, like I think I said in a previous post, Dina and I didn't have enough money to go to Argentina with our whole team. They made a special out-reach for us around Monterrey. For the first 12 days we were in a small mountain village called Mimbres. They had electricity there, and running water, kinda....

I guess I should start at the beginning of this second part...But I'm gonna make it short sweet and to the point...cuz sooo much has happend since I need to post mooorrreeee!!



So our two weeks in Mimbres....To start of the trip there we packed a Ford Explorer with SIX people and the luggage and supplies for TWO WEEKS....and I had to sit in the back....It wasn't fun sitting back there, up in the mountains, things sliding all over me!!! I think I was car sick for the whole two weeks we were there...or at least when ever we drove...I didn't have to always sit back there, but the roads were sooo horrible!!
While we were there it was super cold. SUPER. Keep in mind that they don't have nicely insulated houses. Even when I was inside, I was cold. Unless I was by the fire, especially at night, I was freeezing. There towards the end of our time there, it was getting warmer...at least during the days!! jajaja!


Here, our first night, Dina and I were breaking out all the blankets so that we could sleep warmly. During our time in Mimbres our main mode of ministry was just visiting people. And since I am not fluent in Spanish, I mostly sat there and tried to follow...but my mind could only take that for so long. We also preached in three of the local churches. Dina and I took turns preaching. To begin with she was way better than I, but with more experience I got better. Besides visiting and preaching, Dina and I got play with some of the kids the last couple of days! Those were the best times up in the mountains!!


After the mountains we headed to SALTILLO!!! wooo. We were there for two weeks also. The first week there, we worked with a Nazarene church. It was a different kind of experience working with the people there. I loved the pastor and his family...There was a lot of drama going on in the church though. Our biggest ministry here was cleaning. We cleaned the house we stayed in. We cleaned the pastor's house. We cleaned the church...ALL of the church. Just me, Dina, and Esther!! Clean clean clean.
Dina and I also took turns preaching in this church too. I think we both preached/taught two times each while at this church. We also tried to teach a drama to the youth, but they were really not into it which made teaching them extra difficult. But we managed.


After that week, we entered our final week of out-reach!! I couldn't have asked to be in a better church either. Even though we only had one week there, we had the pleasure of working with the youth everyday of the week. They were a great group of kids to work with. The first night there we meet with the youth group and started teaching them dramas and skits right away. The next day we started on the two day project of painting Tony's bed room. Tony is the son of the pastor of the church we were working with. Tony's best friend was there helping us paint to. Those guys were lots of fun to work with. In the picture to the left it is Tony, Nacho, Me, and Dina. :) We got a little crazy with the paint there at the end...we did an executive paint job though...complete with a nice light blue stripe around the top...The room was blue because that is Tony's FAVORITE color.


While there we did A LOT of different things. After spending two evenings teaching the youth dramas and skits, the third night we went to a little neighborhood where the church we were working with planted a new church. The kids were great! So into being leaders and ministering to the people! I also spent a lot of time driving the youth everywhere!! At least that's what if felt like...whenever we wanted to do a street service or program we all piled into that little red truck and went...sometimes the pastor didn't even come with us and I had to rely on the youth leader Luis, or Tony tell me where to go...IN SPANISH!! Lets just say I learned my left, right, straight real quick!!

All in all out-reach phase turned out to be pretty good. Tough in a lot of moments, but I wouldn't trade them for the world!


Last week of DTS was difficult and stressed. It was super cool and super weird to be back with everyone, minus the Graffs. We had a TON of free time and we spent most of it playing a card game called Phase 10! I was so blessed to know these guys!!! They have impacted my life and I will never be the same. I miss them sooooooo much! Especially my Dina! DTS was an incredible time growing. I have so many great experiences that I couldn't even begin to tell them all!! But if you want, just ask! :)

No comments: