Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Goings and Comings

I've been meaning to post stuff for a while, but everytime I've been inspired to say something I've had other more important things to do! (Like get caught up on my grading!!!)

December has been a very busy month! There has been something to do every Friday so far! So many Christmas parties and Posadas! Unfortunately, I keep forgetting to take my camera to some things!! But, I do have some new pictures!

The first Friday of this month, I think it was, the school where I work gave us, the teachers and staff, a traditional Posada. At a posada you drink ponche (a type of hot fuit punch it's very tastey) you eat tamales and have a pinata! Also you re-enact the "Posada" which was when Mary and Joseph were going from place to place looking for somewhere to stay. They sing a song while doing this, and everyone in the party participates....it's very interesting!




It was a lot of fun breaking the pinatas at the posada......all the teachers diving for the candy and scrambling over it like little kids!!! Not to mention the sheer thrill of taking out all your agression and frustrations on those poor pinatas!! :p
Here you can see Julia really wacking it!! And everyone else taking their chances to get the candy!!


The next Friday there was another Christmas party that the parent association of the school threw for the teachers and staff. I didn't go to that one however, because I was previously invited to a different Christmas party with the ladies at church. I forgot to take my camera to that one!! :( But it was a lovely time! We had salad and spahgetti and apple pie, brownies and no-bake cookies for dessert! (I made the brownies and no-bake cookies! I've really started enjoying baking a bit more here....I don't know if it's cuz I'm board or if it's just my domestic side break free ;) )

It's really beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here. My favorite part about Durango I think is how much they decorate for Christmas!! It really is the best! Two Sunday's ago there was an official lighting ceremony at Parque Guardiana. Pavel, his mom, a friend Jeannine from work, and I went to see the festivities. Later we met up with Griselda, another friend from work. Then Jeannine and Griselda left and we met up with Dani, and her sister, and Mariana. You can kinda see all the lights in the background. There were sooo many people there that night we decided to leave. We went to Cucurumbe, a local coffee shop. Pavel's mom left, but we met up with Juan Ramon and Edgar. It was really nice to be inside the coffee shop and drinking hot chocolate. Good times.

I went another time to Parque Guardiana to see the lights. This time I went with my friend Caro. It was soooooooo COLD!! We bought some yummy warm drink that I can't remember what it's called right now, but it's a very typical drink to have this time of year! It was very tastey. We walked through the park and enjoyed the lights. We also enjoyed walking through the town of Bethlehem they have set up....You can actually walk through some of the houses. It's very cool. I hope to go back to Parque Guardiana a couple more times before I head home for Christmas!!


"Oh little town of Bethlehem..."



One other event I want to tell you about is when Marcos Witt came to visit our church just for one day. He is a pretty well known in the Christian Latin community. He has produced several cds and I think he's the pastor at Lakewood's hispanic church. His parents were/are missionaries here to Durango, and he's now like over the church here that I go to. I don't really think he's all that big of a deal...but the people here were like crazzzyyy about him. I mean he's cool. Love his music, he's a great speaker....but man they were like idolizing him!! Caro made me take a picture with her and Marcos too!!





Last, but not least, here's a couple more photos of me and my friends! After the service Caro got really picture happy and was taking pictures of everyone.....so here are two of my favorites!

This one is me, Azael (the worship leader at church), his fiancee Giovanni (he just proposed like a week ago!! It was really cool how he did it too!) and Tonio.


This one is me, Pavel, Tonio, Juan Ramon, and Caro. God has blessed me with some great friends!!

I have another Posada on Friday, this one is during the day and with all my students. There might be another Christmas party of the youth at church Friday, and Saturday is a Christmas concert that a couple of my friends are playing in, and another christmas party possibly at church......

SUNDAY I COME HOME!!! wooo!
It's a 20hr bus ride from here to Houston....
but taking a bus is a heck of a lot cheaper than flying!
I'll try to post again before I leave for home!

No comments: